Nonfiction Reading Comprehension, Written Narration & Research
One of the goals of exploring non-fiction text is comprehending the message.
Your student learns comprehension skills through:
- reading (or listening)
- answering relevant questions
- and narration
Nonfiction Reading Comprehension, Written Narration & Research presents short, single-topic lessons to help your student learn:
- critical thinking
- test-taking skills
- drawing a conclusion
- and the ability to narrate back the information presented
At the end of each lesson, you’ll find questions to encourage your student to explore more.
Reading and listening for comprehension is a valuable asset for students from elementary school to college.
Why Do Students Struggle With Informational Text and How Can This Book Help?
1. Students may have difficulty understanding text when they encounter new words.
Unfamiliar words introduced in each lesson help your student develop a rich vocabulary. These words are in bold print for easy location. You can create a vocabulary mini-lesson to go with each topic
2. If your student has difficulty reading, the unit segments are easy to read aloud.
The listening strategies your student develops are great for answering your follow-up questions.
Afterward, you can take dictation on the provided written narration page. You get instant feedback on how much your student understood. You’ll also learn where comprehension is lacking.
3. Sometimes comprehension is difficult because nonfiction topics can be boring.
This resource introduces exciting stories to capture your student’s interest such as:
- The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
- thrilling wonders in space
- human body systems
- natural disasters
- and more!
Each unit offers interesting information woven into uncomplicated sentences ideal for holding attention.
4. Students sometimes have trouble understanding nonfiction writing when it’s out of context.
We designed this text to be a supplement to your studies, and you can explore the units in any order. If you are studying recent history, weave the Seven Wonders of the Modern World into your lessons. If your student enjoys meteorology, dive into Learning About Weather for a deeper understanding of the subject.
Use the topics to encourage further research. Ask your student “Why?” to prompt discussion.
You can adapt each topic to any learning style:
- Visual – reading
- Auditory – listening
- Kinesthetic – modeling and movement
How fun would it be to create a diorama of the Empire State Building based on the captivating story?
Also, each lesson offers customizable notebooking pages. Your student can color, decorate, or add stickers to personalize their work.
Why Buy Nonfiction Reading Comprehension, Written Narration & Research
- Teaches necessary nonfiction comprehension skills
- Broadens vocabulary
- Explores a multitude of topics
- Strengthens written narration skills
- Encourages independent research
- Offers opportunities for discussion
- Aids in making relevant connections
- Develops listening strategies when read aloud
- Presents the wonder and majesty of the universe around us
You can use Nonfiction Reading Comprehension, Written Narration & Research in your homeschool or classroom over the course of a full year doing two lessons per week, or as a supplement to your studies over a longer period of time.
“I just want to thank you for this program. It is exactly what I have been looking for to help my 12 yr old with focused informational text. She loves to read novels…not so much school related reading. I’m praying this helps her gain some of those critical skills needed for when she must read a text. Thanks!” – Stephanie
Topics included in this unit are:
United States Geography
- Alaska and Hawaii
Seven Wonders of the Natural World
- Aurora Borealis
- Mount Everest
- Victoria Falls
- Harbor of Rio de Janeiro
- Grand Canyon
- Great Barrier Reef
Seven Wonders of the Ancient World
- Lighthouse of Alexandria
- Statue of Zeus at Olympia
- Temple of Artemis at Ephesus
- Mausoleum of Halicarnassus
- Colossus at Rhodes
- Hanging Gardens of Babylon
- Pyramids of Egypt at Giza
Seven Wonders of the Medieval World
- Catacombs of Kom el Shoqafa
- Hagia Sophia
- Leaning Tower of Pisa
- Great Wall of China
- Porcelain Tower of Nanjing
Seven Wonders of the Age of Steam
- Bell Rock Lighthouse
- Great Eastern
- Transcontinental Railroad
- London Sewers
- Gotthard Tunnel
- Brooklyn Bridge
- Eiffel Tower
Seven Wonders of the Modern World
- Panama Canal
- Empire State Building
- Golden Gate Bridge
- CN Tower
- Delta Works
- Itaipú Dam
- Channel Tunnel
Seven Wonders of the Solar System
- Surface of the Sun
- Oceans of Earth
- Olympus Mons of Mars
- Main Asteroid Belt
- Great Red Spot of Jupiter
- Rings of Saturn
- Landslides & Avalanches
Learning About Weather
- Ice storms
Human Body Systems
- Circulatory System
- Respiratory System
- Digestive System
- Muscular System
- Skeletal System
- Nervous System